In the Mennonite tradition, babies are blessed or dedicated, not baptized. Our congregation does this ritual on Mother's Day each year with a blessing and the presentation of a book to each child. Ezra was blessed today, along with five other babies born this last year.
Here's the video of Ezra's blessing. I put subtitles in because the video quality makes it difficult to understand the pastor's words.
What a wonderful ritual. "Ezra, these are your people." If there are better words for welcoming a child into the community, I'd be hard pressed to find them. This is the kind of community that led me to feel that having a place, and feeling at home in a Mennonite church is a strange thing that feels at times like a birthright.
ReplyDeleteHappy Mother's Day!!!! Ezra is just a beautiful and wonderful boy! I'm very happy for him and your family that he is doing so well!!!
ReplyDelete