Asher at six days

Dear Asher, 

I can't believe you've already been here nearly one week. Already the detailed memories of the sensations of childbirth are being erased and overwritten by newborn snuggles. I don't know if you are our last baby or not, but I know I wasn't intentional enough about documenting Ezra's very early life in words, and I am trying to savor your babyhood. 

You are six days new, little one. Your umbilical cord fell off yesterday and you have an innie belly button. We gave you your first bath today. The little bit of vernix that made your hair darker is gone, and your tiny bit of brown hair is a little bit fluffy. You don't really have much in the way of eyebrows. I wonder if your hair will fall out and come in blond like Ezra's did, or if you'll have brown hair like me. Your eyes are dark blue - will they lighten to clear blue like Ezra's, or darken to brown like mine, or end up hazel like Daddy's?

Your skin is so soft. So soft. And wrinkly, especially on your head and your arms and hands. When you open your sweet little almond eyes and look around, your forehead crinkles up. You're doing that a little more than you did at first. You are probably back up to your birth weight, but not much above it. Dry and pink, you seem bigger than when we first met you, but not much. Your little arms are so thin and haven't filled out with baby fat. When I change your diaper, your little legs are barely enough to hold. Your little feet still have vernix in their creases. 

You are quiet - you haven't found your voice yet. But you squeak sometimes when you are moved, and you certainly let us know when you are hungry!

You are only fussy when you are hungry or need to poop. You love to be on my chest, and I always put you there to fall into a deep sleep before I put you down. But I can't always bring myself to put you down. You are sweet, brand new perfection and I love you dearly.

Comments